If you consider down-sizing destination choices for more than a few minutes, you’ll quickly realize there are many more available than you might expect.
One approach you may wish to consider for your own situation is to use the “top-down” method, starting with “Country” at level one. As you review each level, you will end up filtering your choices so that you have eliminated the ones that don’t fit in favour* of a few that do. This would be an interesting exercise for a couple to do separately, then compare the “short list” of destinations. Here’s a suggestion for sequencing a “top-down” list of six :
1. Country: Do you have the option or resources of relocating to another country?
2. Climate: If you live in a large country, such as Canada, there is a wide variety of regional climates. What’s your preference? (Victoria, B.C. is a popular downsizing destination because of the local climate.)
3. Province or State: One of the most important criteria down-sizers consider is the level of health care available to them by province or state. There may be a wide variation when you are making your selection.
4. Community: The size of the village, town or city is an important consideration for anyone downsizing and/or retiring. Distance to relatives, food, shopping, and local resources are typical criteria.
5. Property Type: This is the level on the list most people think of first when they consider downsizing since it deals with their living space. Here’s a list of some typical options:
- Condo Apartment
- Cottage – four seasons or two seasons + travel
- Recreational Vehicle (RV)
- Retirement Home
- Golf community
- Sailboat (watch for a future post on this one)
6. Occupancy: Own or rent. Not everyone who downsizes wants to be a property owner. They want the flexibility of relocating that renting gives them.
Regardless of where you choose to downsize, your choice is extremely important due to the time, effort and cost of relocating. Experience shows that the more time you spend on the process described above, the more likely you are to be happy with the result.
Now it’s your turn to choose a destination …
What are your thoughts on this topic? You are welcome to comment below ...
Find out how to keep in touch with Downsizing Help by clicking on Subscription Choices in the top menu bar. A new post is released every Sunday at 2 p.m. EST.
Unless otherwise credited, all posts are happily authored in quill & pen by …
Paul Ferri, Broker
RE/MAX Unique Inc. Brokerage*, Toronto, Canada
*Each office independently owned and operated
Photo credit: Pixabay ~ PublicDomainPictures