Regardless of whether your senior chooses to age-in-place or downsize, chances are they will need help with maintaining their balance. Here are seven simple but effective exercises that can be done in the home without special equipment. This short video by physiotherapists Bob & Brad is an excellent demonstration of the power of simplicity in action.
In the introduction to this content, Bob states why it is important to view this video – “the number of people who are elderly and fall is incredible”.
The following questions are answered in this video:
- Which muscles in the body need strengthening to prevent falls?
- What common household items are useful for home-physio?
- What simple movement shows if your hip muscles are weak?
- Which exercise is the “complete package” for your muscles?
- Which exercises can you do on your own and which one requires help from a family member, friend or physiotherapist?
- What stance or body position should be used for all of these exercises?
View more videos like this on the Physical Therapy Video channel.
See their website here.
What exercises or sources do you suggest for helping seniors?
* You may notice some Canadian spelling in these posts. The words may look odd but that’s how we spell them. We’re used to it.
Do you have a blog or podcast related to downsizing? Where can we find it?
Find out how to keep in touch with Downsizing Help by clicking on Subscription Choices in the top menu bar. A new post is released every Sunday at 2 p.m. EST.
Unless otherwise credited, all posts are happily authored with a quill pen …
Paul Ferri, Broker, ASA (Accredited Senior Agent)
RE/MAX Unique Inc. Brokerage*, Toronto, Canada
*Each office independently owned and operated.